FAQ module icon

Frequently Asked Questions

The material in this question and answer series is for your information only. It is not legal advice and is not designed to be used in place of legal advice. You should consult your own attorney for legal advice. The St. Joseph Legal Department provides this series to provide a general summary of procedures concerning violations of city ordinances in the City of St. Joseph, Missouri. It is issued to inform generally, not to advise of specific rights. As with any general information, the answers given here may not specifically apply to you.
How do I get my property returned?
All property that is taken into custody by the Department is inventoried into the property section of the Department. It is held until the Prosecuting Attorney determines whether a criminal case will be filed. If a case is filed, the property is held until released by the Prosecutor’s Office. If a case is not filed, the property can be returned to its rightful owner. If you have property to be returned, please call (816) 271-4784 and make arrangements. Property can be returned Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

Show All Answers

1. When should I call 911?
2. How do I make a Police Report?
3. What happens after I file a written report about an incident?
4. Where can I get a copy of a police report taken in St. Joseph, Missouri?
5. I was the victim of a hit and run accident, how do I get follow-up information?
6. I received a ticket, where do I go to pay it?
7. What information should I exchange with the other driver if I am in an accident?
8. If an incident occurred in another city, can I still report it in St. Joseph?
9. Where can I get a restraining order…or an order of protection?
10. Where do I report an animal bite?
11. How can I get a police ride along?
12. How do I get my property returned?
13. How do I make a complaint or compliment an officer?
14. How do I become a St. Joseph Police Officer?
15. How do I get a uniform shoulder patch?
16. Who can I call about phone solicitors to see if they are credible?